Starting June 5th, the Banneker Center will be instituting summer hours. The facility hours will be shortened, from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Friday. Please also note that the building will be closed entirely on Memorial Day (May 30) and Independence Day (July 4).
The 3rd floor play space hours will also be shortened, with drop-in preschool playtime from 9-11 a.m. and from 5-7 p.m. Monday-Friday. Outside of those hours, the 3rd floor will not be available.
School year programs such as storytimes and Physical Fridays open gym are not available during the summer.
Why the changes? During June and July, Banneker operates a summer day camp and food service program for low-income families. Most days there are between 60 and 85 school-aged kids attending the camp. Both space and staff are stretched to the limit. At certain points during the day, camp staff must utilize the 3rd floor space.
It can be challenging when very young children and their parents have to share space with older, more energetic campers. The intention with the new hours is for there to be no overlap between these two groups of users in the 3rd floor space.
Why are there no storytimes? I'll be serving as librarian to the school-aged campers. Part of their schedule every day is a Drop Everything And Read (DEAR) time. As part of that, I will be planning and presenting a storytime or literature-based program to different groups of campers every day, as well as handling all book selection and circulation duties. I simply can't fit any other programs into my schedule.
Regular hours and preschool programming will resume Monday, July 31st.
As you begin to plan your summer, here are some special summertime offerings from Banneker and Bloomington Parks & Recreation.
- Friday, June 16th, 10:00-11:30 a.m.
- Friday, July 14th, 10:00-11:30 a.m.
At other Parks facilities:
Turf Time for Toddlers ($5/child or free for Twin Lakes members, for ages 1-6 w/parent)
- Ongoing, Tuesdays & Thursdays, 9:30-10:30 a.m. at Twin Lakes Recreation Center
Summer Sampler (FREE, drop-in, all ages)
Celebrate the official start of summer! Visit with a whole slew of community organizations about the fabulous events they have cooked up for the community to enjoy. Food will be available.
- Friday, May 26th, 5:30-9:00 p.m. at Bryan Park
- 5:30 - live kids' music with Kid Kazooey
- 6:00-8:00 - active games at Play Day celebration
- 7:15 - live Blues music with Kari Ray
- 9:00 - Movie Finding Dory in Bryan Park Pool ($2 admission to the pool)
Bike Rodeo (FREE, drop-in, ages 4-12 w/parent)
- Saturday, June 3rd, 10:00 a.m. - 12 noon at Fairview Elementary Playground
- Please bring your own bike, as only a few extra bikes will be available
Touch a Truck ($1/person, drop-in, geared toward ages 1-10)
- Wednesday, June 14th, 10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. at Winslow Sports Complex
- Rain date June 15th, 10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
Messy Mania ($5/child, drop-in, ages 1-8 w/parent)
- Tuesday, July 11th, 9:00 a.m. - 12 noon at Bryan Park Henderson Shelter
- Wear old clothes and prepare to get messy while enjoying ooey, gooey fun!
Other Parks & Rec activities for children include swimming and other sports lessons; summer camps; arts camps; nature hikes and more. See the Parks and Recreation Program Guide for more information.