Friday, April 15, 2016

Flannel Friday: The Very Hungry Caterpillar

This week my preschool storytime theme was caterpillars and butterflies, so naturally I turned to Eric Carle's classic The Very Hungry Caterpillar. One day soon (I hope), I'm going to plan far enough in advance to make a flannel set like the gorgeous one posted last week by Lauren, but I am so glad I decided to try this version. The kids and parents really liked it, plus it's interactive and puppet-like, which is always fun. Thanks to Lisa at Thrive After Three for the idea and instructions.

You'll need: knee-high pantyhose, large googly eyes or felt eyes, lots of craft foam in many colors, tacky glue, and assorted colors of puffy paint. I found that the thicker craft foam stands up better without wilting over. 

There are one apple, two pears, three plums, four strawberries, five oranges and one each of the other objects.
Start with a knee-high and googly eyes for the caterpillar.


All other pieces are made from craft foam. I drew them freehand.


Add details with more foam and glue or puffy paint.


Cut a hole in the middle that fits over your arm.


Make sure you get lots of red foam. And look for tan!
My "cherry pie" is a sad, sad blueberry...something.


Have the kids add pieces to your caterpillar arm
as you tell the story (and make munching sounds).


Finish up with the cocoon and butterfly.





You can find this week's roundup of new posts at Mel's Desk. For tons more great ideas, check out Flannel Friday's blog or find them on Pinterest and Facebook.

4 comments:

  1. Out of sight!!! Anything interactive is a must do! Your bold and colorful pieces are great. I have some tie dyed knee socks I'll be using to make my caterpillar puppet. Thank you, Miss Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sue. Tie-dyed socks would be really cute!

      Delete
  2. Love it!! Thanks for sharing a wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! Adding it to the TOP of my long list of things I want to make. What a great idea, I can see this working really well during my Toddler times, which get so big it's hard for everyone to see the book. Thanks Jennifer!

    -Jessica
    My Flannel Friday

    ReplyDelete