Monday, September 26, 2016

BabyTime

Our book this time was Dancing Feet by Lindsey Craig. This book uses lots of interesting sounds and action words that make it easy for little ones to move along with the story.















Our "Did You Know" fact was about Print Motivation (or Loving Books!).

"When reading to babies, pre-talkers, and pre-readers, it is important to have fun doing it. Read to a child when you are both in a good mood. A few joyous minutes sharing a book is worth more than a longer time if you aren’t having fun!  Children who see reading as fun and rewarding will stick to it  and be motivated to learn."

(Credit: Early Literacy Web


Welcoming Song: “We Wave Hello Like This” 
(To the tune of “The Farmer in the Dell”)

We wave hello like this.
We wave hello like this.
We clap our hands for all our friends.
We wave hello like this.


Lap Bounce: “Uncle John

Mother and Father and Uncle John               (bounce)
Went to town one by one                              (bounce)
Mother fell off!                                             (lean left)
Father fell off!                                               (lean right)
But Uncle John went on and on and on...     (bounce)


Bounce/Tickle: “What Shall We Do with a Wiggly Toddler

[This song has several versions. The first one I found was "What Shall We Do With Lazy Katie," but I've also seen "...Sleepy Toddler" and my new favorite, "...Wiggly Toddler." The key is to play with songs and make them fit your needs and preferences.]

What shall we do with a wiggly toddler?        (sway or bounce)
What shall we do with a wiggly toddler?
What shall we do with a wiggly toddler
Early in the morning?

Roll her on the bed and tickle all over             (roll baby back and forth on your lap, tickle)
Roll her on the bed and tickle all over
Roll her on the bed and tickle all over
Early in the morning.

Heave ho and up she rises                              (lift baby)
Heave ho and up she rises
Heave ho and up she rises  
Early in the morning.                          


Tickle Rhyme: “Tickle Bugs

Ticklebugs, ticklebugs, hunting feet                  (creep fingers up baby's legs)
Creeping and crawling over the sheets              (creep fingers down baby's legs)
Ahh one, ahh two, a catch tchem like this         (wiggle baby's legs)
A tickle tickle tickle and a great big kiss!         (tickle belly; kiss baby)



Nursery Rhyme: “Hickory Dickory Dock

[It's fun to play around with traditional nursery rhymes. I like to do this one as a tickle, but I've linked to a video that shows it as a bounce/movement rhyme.]

Hickory dickory dock                
The mouse ran up the clock              (creep fingers up baby's arm)
The clock struck one
The mouse ran down                        (creep fingers down baby's arm)
Hickory dickory dock


Dancing: “Go In and Out the Window

[Stand in a circle, holding baby. In the second verse, turn baby to face another child in the circle. If you are alone, you could use a mirror.]

Go in and out the window                         (swing baby toward middle of circle)
Go in and out the window
Go in and out the window
As we have done before

Turn and face your partner                        (turn toward other baby)
Turn and face your partner
Turn and face your partner
As we have done before

Go up and down the staircase                    (lift baby up and down)
Go up and down the staircase
Go up and down the staircase
As we have done before



Dancing/Movement: “Shoo Fly

[Form a circle]

Shoo fly, don’t bother me                                         (walk around the circle)
Shoo fly, don’t bother me
Shoo fly, don’t bother me
‘Cause I belong to somebody

I feel, I feel, I feel like a morning star                     (walk toward the center)
I feel, I feel, I feel like a morning star                     (walk back)
I feel, I feel, I feel like a morning star                     (walk toward the center)
I feel, I feel, I feel like a morning star                     (walk back)

Shoo fly, don’t bother me                                        (walk around the circle)
Shoo fly, don’t bother me
Shoo fly, don’t bother me
‘Cause I belong to somebody



Can you shake your egg with me?       
Shake you egg along with me?
It's as easy as can be.
Now put it on your knee.

(Repeat: tummy, head, etc.)


Shaker song: “Everyone Can Shake

[This teaches the American sign language sign for stop.]

Everyone can shake, shake, shake              (shake egg)
Everyone can shake, shake, shake
Everyone can shake, shake, shake
And now let’s make a stop.                          (sign for stop*)
           
(*place one hand sideways into palm of other hand in a sort of chopping motion)

Repeat with:
Everyone can tap, tap, tap                            (tap egg on baby)
Everyone can clap, clap, clap                       (clap with egg)
Everyone can wave, wave, wave                 (wave with egg)


Closing Song: “We Wave Goodbye Like This
(to the tune of “The Farmer in the Dell”)

We wave goodbye like this.
We wave goodbye like this.
We clap our hands for all our friends.
We wave goodbye like this.


Bubbles with music


This storytime was inspired by the lovely folks at: 

No comments:

Post a Comment