Saturday, April 30, 2016

BabyTime

Our book this time was Books Always Everywhere by Jane Blatt.

I couldn't resist this celebration of the many ways children interact with books. The text is very brief, which lets the illustrations convey the details.



Welcoming Song: “Let’s All Clap

(to the tune of “Buffalo Gals”)

Let’s all clap ‘cause ____ is here
______ is here, ______ is here
Let’s all clap ‘cause ______ is here
______ is here today.


Song: “Baby Put Your Pants On
(to the tune of "Short'nin' Bread")

Baby put your pants on, pants on, pants on         (move baby's legs)
Baby put your pants on, one, two, three              (gently poke baby's belly)
Baby put your pants on, pants on, pants on
Baby put your pants on, one, two, three

Leg to the left, leg to the right                            (move legs)
Wiggle and jiggle and pull them up tight
Leg to the left, leg to the right
Wiggle and jiggle and pull them up tight

Baby put your pants on, pants on, pants on
Baby put your pants on, one, two, three

This is a great song to do while changing a diaper. It's also very easy to switch up the words for any other piece of clothing. We've done hats and coats in the winter and this time we tried it out using sunscreen!


Bounce: “Grand Old Duke of York

The grand old Duke of York                                   (bounce baby)
He had ten thousand men
He marched them up to the top of the hill               (lift baby)
And marched them down again.

‘Cause when you’re up you’re up                           (lift baby)
And when you’re down you’re down
And when you’re only halfway up                          (lift baby)
You’re neither up nor down.

He marched them to the left                                   (bounce left)
He marched them to the right                                 (bounce right)
He marched them to the top of the hill                   (lift baby)
Oh, what a silly sight!


Song: “One Little, Two Little, Three Little Fingers

One little, two little, three little fingers             (wiggle each finger)
Four little, five little, six little fingers
Seven little, eight little, nine little fingers
Ten little fingers on my hand

They wiggle and they wiggle and they wiggle all together       (wiggle fingers)
They wiggle and they wiggle and they wiggle all together
They wiggle and they wiggle and they wiggle all together
Ten  little fingers on my hand

They clap and they clap and they keep on clapping            (clap)
They clap and they clap and they keep on clapping
They clap and they clap and they keep on clapping
Ten little fingers on my hand


Bounce: “Acka Backa Soda Cracker

Acka backa soda cracker              
Acka backa boo
Acka backa soda cracker
Up goes you!                                      (lift baby’s arms or whole baby)

Acka backa soda cracker
Acka backa boo
Acka backa soda cracker
I love you!                                          (kiss)


Nursery Rhyme/Tickle: “This Little Piggy

You can do this traditional rhyme with a child's fingers or toes.

This little piggy went to market                            
This little piggy stayed home
This little had roast beef
This little piggy had none
And this little piggy went "Wee, wee, wee" all the way home        (tickle)


Dance/Movement: “Shoo, Fly!
(Form a circle)

Shoo fly, don’t bother me                                         (walk around the circle)
Shoo fly, don’t bother me
Shoo fly, don’t bother me
‘Cause I belong to somebody

I feel, I feel, I feel like a morning star                     (walk toward the center)
I feel, I feel, I feel like a morning star                     (walk back)
I feel, I feel, I feel like a morning star                     (walk toward the center)
I feel, I feel, I feel like a morning star                     (walk back)

Shoo fly, don’t bother me                                        (walk around the circle)
Shoo fly, don’t bother me
Shoo fly, don’t bother me
‘Cause I belong to somebody


Dance/Movement: “Go In and Out the Window

(Stand in a circle, holding baby. In the second verse, turn baby to face another child in the circle. If you are alone, you could use a mirror.)

Go in and out the window                (swing baby in football hold toward middle of circle)
Go in and out the window
Go in and out the window
As we have done before

Turn and face your partner                        (hold baby under arms, turn toward other baby)
Turn and face your partner
Turn and face your partner
As we have done before

Go up and down the staircase              (lift baby up and down)
Go up and down the staircase
Go up and down the staircase
As we have done before


Scarf Song: “There’s a Scarf on my Head”
(to the tune of  “There's a Spider on the Floor”)

There’s a scarf on my head, on my head                    (put scarf on your head)
There’s a scarf on my head, on my head
There’s a scarf on my head, there’s a scarf on my head,
There’s a scarf on my head, on my head

(continue with knees, toes, tummy etc.)


Scarf Rhyme: “Pat-a-Cake
This nursery rhyme is usually done with clapping and hand motions, but it's also fun to do with a scarf in your hands.

Pat-a-cake, pat-a-cake, baker's man              (clap)
Bake me a cake as fast as you can
Roll it                                                             (roll fists over one another)
And pat it                                                       (pat hands together)
And mark it with a "B"                                  (trace letter on baby's tummy or hand)
And put it in the oven for baby and me.    

(It's fun to change this rhyme and use baby's initial instead of the letter B.)


Scarf Song: “Popcorn Kernels
(to the tune of “Frere Jacques”)

Popcorn kernels, popcorn kernels              (wave scarf)
In the pot, in the pot                                   (hide scarf inside cupped hands)
Shake them, shake them, shake them        (shake cupped hands)
Shake them, shake them, shake them
Til they pop! Til they pop!                        (throw scarf into the air)


Closing Song: “The More We Get Together

The more we get together, together, together
The more we get together, the happier we'll be
'Cause your friends are my friends
And my friends are your friends
The more we get together, the happier we'll be

Blowing bubbles with music

Today's storytime was inspired by the lovely folks at:

Jbrary
Loons and Quines
Storytime Kids

No comments:

Post a Comment