Wednesday, February 3, 2016

BabyTime

Happy Wednesday! I am so enjoying the new BabyTime program. Those little giggles and smiles really make my day.

Today's book was Jump by Scott M. Fischer. It has fun rhyming text, you can bounce little ones in your lap every time you say "Jump!" and it's easy to add in animal sounds. This is a slightly long book for the youngest ages, but it's okay to shorten books! Unless your baby really wants to, you don't need to read for more than 2-3 minutes at a time. Keep it short and fun, and then come back for more later.




Welcoming Song: “Let’s All Clap
(to the tune of “Buffalo Gals”)

Let’s all clap ‘cause ____ is here
______ is here, ______ is here
Let’s all clap ‘cause ______ is here

______ is here today.

Bounce/Rhyme: “The Grand Old Duke of York

The grand old Duke of York                                                [bounce baby]
He had ten thousand men
He marched them up to the top of the hill                        [lift baby]
And marched them down again.

‘Cause when you’re up you’re up                           [lift baby]
And when you’re down you’re down
And when you’re only halfway up                          [lift baby]
You’re neither up nor down.

He marched them to the left                                   [bounce left]
He marched them to the right                                 [bounce right]
He marched them to the top of the hill                  [lift baby]
Oh, what a silly sight!

Lap Bounce: “A Smooth Road
(Put the baby on your lap, facing you preferably so s/he can see your face.)

A smooth road, a smooth road, a smooth road, a smooth road    [sway]
A bumpy road, a bumpy road, a bumpy road, a bumpy road     [bounce gently]
A rough road, a rough road, a rough road, a rough road             [bounce harder]
A HOLE!                                                                                  [drop baby between knees]

(this also works great using the pictures from any book about farm animals)

I went to visit the farm one day
I saw a cow along the way
And what do you think that cow did say?
MOOOOO!
(repeat with different animals)



With both our book and flannel board today, we practiced making animal sounds. Hearing and making animal sounds helps your child hear different kinds of sounds in language. And it's so much fun!

Dance/Movement: “Shoo Fly
(form a circle)

Shoo fly, don’t bother me                 [walk around the circle] 
Shoo fly, don’t bother me
Shoo fly, don’t bother me
‘Cause I belong to somebody

I feel, I feel, I feel like a morning star                     [walk toward the center]
I feel, I feel, I feel like a morning star                     [walk back]
I feel, I feel, I feel like a morning star                     [walk toward the center]
I feel, I feel, I feel like a morning star                     [walk back]

Shoo fly, don’t bother me                 [walk around the circle]
Shoo fly, don’t bother me
Shoo fly, don’t bother me
'Cause I belong to somebody

Dance/Movement: “Go In and Out the Window
(form a circle)

Go in and out the window                        [swing baby toward middle of circle]
Go in and out the window
Go in and out the window
As we have done before

Turn and face your partner                        [hold baby under arms, turn toward other baby]
Turn and face your partner 
Turn and face your partner
As we have done before

Go up and down the staircase                  [lift baby up and down]
Go up and down the staircase 
Go up and down the staircase
As we have done before


Song with Scarves: “Peek-a-Boo
(to the tune “Frere Jacques”)

Peek a boo, peek a boo         [peek out from behind scarf or hands]
I see you, I see you                [touch baby’s chest]
I see your button nose         [touch baby’s nose]
I see your tiny toes               [wiggle baby’s toes]
I see you                                
Peek a boo                             [peek out from behind scarf or hands]

(to the tune of “For He’s a Jolly Good Fellow”)

We wave our scarves together
We wave our scarves together
We wave our scarves together
Because it’s fun to do!
Wave ‘em up high
Wave ‘em down low
Wave ‘em in the middle
Because it’s fun to do!

We throw our scarves together
We throw our scarves together
We throw our scarves together
Because it’s fun to do!
We throw ‘em up high
We throw ‘em down low
We throw ‘em in the middle
Because it’s fun to do!

Scarves: “Popcorn Kernels
(to the tune of “Frere Jacques”)

Popcorn kernels, popcorn kernels              (wave scarf)
In the pot, in the pot                                     (hide scarf inside cupped hands)
Shake them, shake them, shake them        (shake cupped hands)
Shake them, shake them, shake them
Til they pop! Til they pop!                            (throw scarf into the air)

Pig with a scarf















Goodbye Song: “The More We Get Together

The more we get together, together, together
The more we get together, the happier we'll be
'Cause your friends are my friends
And my friends are your friends
The more we get together, the happier we'll be


Inspiration for today's storytime came from these lovely folks:

Jbrary
Storytime Katie
Abby the Librarian
Grand County Library District


No comments:

Post a Comment