Wednesday, February 10, 2016

BabyTime

Happy Wednesday!

Today's book was From Head to Toe by Eric Carle.  Simple, repetitive text shows animals and a child moving different parts of their bodies in interesting ways. Seals clap, elephants stomp, and kids can imitate them all.






When you point to or gently touch the body parts on your child as you read or sing, it will help them understand that the words you’re saying represent their bodies.




Where oh where are baby’s fingers?                     [touch fingers]
Where oh where are baby’s toes?                          [touch toes]
Where is baby’s belly button?                               [trace on baby’s tummy]     
Round and round it goes.

Where oh where are baby’s ears?                          [touch ears]
Where oh where is baby’s nose?                           [touch nose]
Where is baby’s belly button?                               [trace on baby’s tummy]
Round and round it goes.



Song: “We Hit the Floor Together”
(to the tune of “For He’s a Jolly Good Fellow”

We hit the floor together
We hit the floor together
We hit the floor together
Because it’s fun to do!

Repeat with: clap our hands, nod our heads, sway from side to side, wave hello




Lap Bounce: “A Smooth Road
[Put the baby on your lap, facing you preferably so s/he can see your face.]

A smooth road, a smooth road, a smooth road, a smooth road    [sway]
A bumpy road, a bumpy road, a bumpy road, a bumpy road       [bounce gently]
A rough road, a rough road, a rough road, a rough road              [bounce harder]
A HOLE!                                                                                      [drop baby between knees]




Bumping up and down in my little red wagon
Bumping up and down in my little red wagon
Bumping up and down in my little red wagon
Won’t you be my darling?

Repeat with: my little black stroller, tricycle, shopping cart, whatever baby rides in.



Movement/Dance: “Shoo Fly
[Form a circle]

Shoo fly, don’t bother me                                         [walk around the circle]
Shoo fly, don’t bother me
Shoo fly, don’t bother me
‘Cause I belong to somebody

I feel, I feel, I feel like a morning star                     [walk toward the center]
I feel, I feel, I feel like a morning star                     [walk back]
I feel, I feel, I feel like a morning star                     [walk toward the center]
I feel, I feel, I feel like a morning star                     [walk back]

Shoo fly, don’t bother me                                        [walk around the circle]
Shoo fly, don’t bother me
Shoo fly, don’t bother me
‘Cause I belong to somebody



Movement/Dance: “Go In and Out the Window
[Stand in a circle, holding baby. In the second verse, turn baby to face another child in the circle. If you are alone, you could use a mirror.]

Go in and out the window                [swing baby in football hold toward middle of circle]
Go in and out the window
Go in and out the window
As we have done before

Turn and face your partner                        [hold baby under arms, turn toward other baby]
Turn and face your partner 
Turn and face your partner
As we have done before

Go up and down the staircase              [lift baby up and down]
Go up and down the staircase
Go up and down the staircase
As we have done before


Song with Scarves: “Peek-a-Boo #2”
(to the tune of “Frere Jacques”)

Where is ______? Where is _______?
There s/he is! There s/he is!
I’m so glad to see you. I’m so glad to see you.
Peek-a-boo! Peek-a-boo!


Song with Scarves: “This is the Way
[Use the scarf to “wash” the baby.]

This is the way we wash our face
Wash our face, wash our face.
This is the way we wash our face
So early in the morning.

Repeat with other body parts (knees, tummy, toes, elbow)


Song with Scarves: “One Bright Scarf
(to the tune of "Ten Little Fingers")

One bright scarf waiting for the wind to blow           (hold in hand)
Wiggle it high                                                            (wiggle scarf above head)
Wiggle it low                                                             (wiggle scarf by knees)
Shake it fast                                                               (wiggle scarf quickly)
Shake it slow                                                             (wiggle scarf slowly)
Where did it go?                                                        (hide behind back, bring out empty hands)


Goodbye Song: "The More We Get Together"

The more we get together, together, together
The more we get together, the happier we'll be
'Cause your friends are my friends and my friends are your friends
The more we get together, the happier we'll be


Inspiration for today's storytime came from the lovely folks at:


No comments:

Post a Comment